Senior captain Anna Depenau clinched the win, with a 6-7(4), 7-6(2), 6-2 victory
March 29, 2014
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team (7-9, 3-3 WCC) pulled out a victory over fellow WCC contender Loyola Marymount (6-11, 0-4 WCC) in thrilling fashion Saturday afternoon at the LMU Tennis Center.
After dropping a tight doubles point, the Toreros stayed mentally tough in a match that would last over five hours. With stellar performances from seniors Idil Haciraifoglu and Anna Depenau, the Toreros defeated the Lions 4-3.
To kick off doubles play, Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo cruised past Ellie Grossman and Lauri Mueller 8-1. The pair are currently on an eight-match winning streak. However, the Lions fired back with a win at the No. 3 spot. With the deciding match on court one, the Lions' Miya Jin and Jessica Perez got the victory over sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic 8-5.
As singles play commenced, LMU extended their lead after an injury forced Blecher to retire on court one. The Toreros would answer with two convincing wins: Stojanovic knocked off Lions' Jessica Perez 6-3, 6-1, while DiFilippo defeated Lauri Mueller 6-2, 6-2. The Lions would gain back their momentum when Ellie Grossman defeated sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink 6-3, 6-3.
The remaining matches on court featured the two seniors on the squad: Haciraifoglu at the No. 5 spot and Depenau at the No. 3 spot. Although losing a tight second set, Haciraifoglu got the victory over Lions' Reka Rohonyi 6-1, 4-6, 6-3. It would then come down to Depenau, who is no stranger to marathon matches. Despite losing the first set in a tiebreak, Depenau stayed confident and came back to win the second set 7-6(2). It was then smooth sailing from that point on as Depenau took the third set and the match 6-2.
The Toreros return to action April 8th, at 1:30 p.m. PT for SENIOR DAY. Mark your calendars and come support as the Toreros take on the University of San Francisco.
San Diego 4, Loyola Marymount 3
1. Miya Jin/Jessica Perez (LMU) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-5
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Ellie Grossman/Lauri Mueller (LMU) 8-1
3. Kristine Kouyoumjian/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 8-4
1. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-2, 1-0, retired
2. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Jessica Perez (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-7(4), 7-6(2), 6-2
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Lauri Mueller (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Ellie Grossman (LMU) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1); Singles (1, 2, 4, 6, 5, 3)