Senior captain Anna Depenau clinched the win, with a 6-7(4), 7-6(2), 6-2 victory
March 29, 2014
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team (7-9, 3-3 WCC) pulled out a victory over fellow WCC contender Loyola Marymount (6-11, 0-4 WCC) in thrilling fashion Saturday afternoon at the LMU Tennis Center.
After dropping a tight doubles point, the Toreros stayed mentally tough in a match that would last over five hours. With stellar performances from seniors Idil Haciraifoglu and Anna Depenau, the Toreros defeated the Lions 4-3.
To kick off doubles play, Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo cruised past Ellie Grossman and Lauri Mueller 8-1. The pair are currently on an eight-match winning streak. However, the Lions fired back with a win at the No. 3 spot. With the deciding match on court one, the Lions' Miya Jin and Jessica Perez got the victory over sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic 8-5.
As singles play commenced, LMU extended their lead after an injury forced Blecher to retire on court one. The Toreros would answer with two convincing wins: Stojanovic knocked off Lions' Jessica Perez 6-3, 6-1, while DiFilippo defeated Lauri Mueller 6-2, 6-2. The Lions would gain back their momentum when Ellie Grossman defeated sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink 6-3, 6-3.
The remaining matches on court featured the two seniors on the squad: Haciraifoglu at the No. 5 spot and Depenau at the No. 3 spot. Although losing a tight second set, Haciraifoglu got the victory over Lions' Reka Rohonyi 6-1, 4-6, 6-3. It would then come down to Depenau, who is no stranger to marathon matches. Despite losing the first set in a tiebreak, Depenau stayed confident and came back to win the second set 7-6(2). It was then smooth sailing from that point on as Depenau took the third set and the match 6-2.
The Toreros return to action April 8th, at 1:30 p.m. PT for SENIOR DAY. Mark your calendars and come support as the Toreros take on the University of San Francisco.
San Diego 4, Loyola Marymount 3
1. Miya Jin/Jessica Perez (LMU) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-5
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Ellie Grossman/Lauri Mueller (LMU) 8-1
3. Kristine Kouyoumjian/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 8-4
1. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-2, 1-0, retired
2. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Jessica Perez (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-7(4), 7-6(2), 6-2
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Lauri Mueller (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Ellie Grossman (LMU) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1); Singles (1, 2, 4, 6, 5, 3)
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.
The Will to Win
2015 Celebration of Excellence.
Get to Know Kyle Holder
One of the top SS in the country.
From Serbia to San Diego
Four stand-out student athletes hail from Serbia.
Torero Profile: Lauren Schad
One of a few Native American female athletes in DI.