April 8, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team (8-9, 4-3 WCC) narrowly ousted the University of San Francisco Dons (11-7, 1-5 WCC) on Senior Day at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
Despite dropping a tight doubles point, the Toreros fired back in singles clinching 4-3 with a win from sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink in three sets.
In doubles, the Dons came out the gate hot defeating sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic 8-2. The Toreros answered with a win at the No. 2 spot. Senior captain Anna Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo knocked off Dons’ Thyra Taune and Sofia Holmberg 8-6. The tandem has won nine straight matches in a row. The deciding match came down to court three featuring senior Idil Haciraifoglu and Morkel-Brink. With the Toreros neck and neck in a tiebreak, the Dons came out on top 8-7(5).
In singles, the Toreros were eager and motivated to claim their last home match of the season. Depenau picked up the first point, cruising past Don’s Sofia Holmberg 6-1, 6-2. Depenau is also on an eight-match winning streak in singles. DiFilippo quickly followed dominating Marina Nikolic 6-3, 6-1. While the Dons equalized with a win at the No. 2 spot, fellow senior Haciraifoglu extended the Torero lead with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Milica Hadzi-Tanovic.
The Toreros would then need one of the remaining two matches, both in third sets, to take the match. Although dropping the second set, Morkel-Brink gave a stellar performance to secure the win and the match 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.
The Toreros leave the beautiful San Diego weather and return to action in Utah, this Friday at 11:00 a.m. PT.
San Diego 4, San Francisco 3
1. Andrea Ka/Marina Nikolic (USF) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-2
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Thyra Taune/Sofia Holmberg (USF) 8-6
3. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic/Genevieve McCloskey (USF) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 8-7(5)
1. Andrea Ka (USF) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Thyra Taune (USF) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 7-5, 6-2
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Sofia Holmberg (USF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Marina Nikolic (USF) 6-3, 6-1
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) def. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) 7-5, 6-2
6. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Genevieve McCloskey (USF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (3, 4, 2, 5, 6, 1)