Sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink clinched 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
April 8, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team (8-9, 4-3 WCC) narrowly ousted the University of San Francisco Dons (11-7, 1-5 WCC) on Senior Day at the Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center.
Despite dropping a tight doubles point, the Toreros fired back in singles clinching 4-3 with a win from sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink in three sets.
In doubles, the Dons came out the gate hot defeating sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic 8-2. The Toreros answered with a win at the No. 2 spot. Senior captain Anna Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo knocked off Dons’ Thyra Taune and Sofia Holmberg 8-6. The tandem has won nine straight matches in a row. The deciding match came down to court three featuring senior Idil Haciraifoglu and Morkel-Brink. With the Toreros neck and neck in a tiebreak, the Dons came out on top 8-7(5).
In singles, the Toreros were eager and motivated to claim their last home match of the season. Depenau picked up the first point, cruising past Don’s Sofia Holmberg 6-1, 6-2. Depenau is also on an eight-match winning streak in singles. DiFilippo quickly followed dominating Marina Nikolic 6-3, 6-1. While the Dons equalized with a win at the No. 2 spot, fellow senior Haciraifoglu extended the Torero lead with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Milica Hadzi-Tanovic.
The Toreros would then need one of the remaining two matches, both in third sets, to take the match. Although dropping the second set, Morkel-Brink gave a stellar performance to secure the win and the match 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.
The Toreros leave the beautiful San Diego weather and return to action in Utah, this Friday at 11:00 a.m. PT.
San Diego 4, San Francisco 3
1. Andrea Ka/Marina Nikolic (USF) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-2
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Thyra Taune/Sofia Holmberg (USF) 8-6
3. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic/Genevieve McCloskey (USF) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 8-7(5)
1. Andrea Ka (USF) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Thyra Taune (USF) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 7-5, 6-2
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Sofia Holmberg (USF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Marina Nikolic (USF) 6-3, 6-1
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) def. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) 7-5, 6-2
6. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Genevieve McCloskey (USF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (3, 4, 2, 5, 6, 1)
Men's Soccer Season Opener
Previewing No. 16 Cal
Training Camp Update
Coach Lindsey Recaps the First Two Weeks
2015 WSOC Preview
A brief preview of the 2015 Toreros.
The Will to Win
2015 Celebration of Excellence.
Get to Know Kyle Holder
One of the top SS in the country.
From Serbia to San Diego
Four stand-out student athletes hail from Serbia.
Torero Profile: Lauren Schad
One of a few Native American female athletes in DI.