Juliette Coupez notched her career-best ninth-straight singles win.
April 9, 2011
SAN DIEGO, Calif.- The University of San Diego women's tennis team posted its ninth-straight victory with a 6-1 win over Oregon on Saturday afternoon from Hogan Tennis Center. The Toreros (16-4, 3-2 WCC) closed out the regular season by earning their first win over the Ducks (7-12) since 2003, snapping a string of four losses to Oregon.
Doubles action started out with Anna Depenau and Maja Sujica, the WCC's Doubles Players of the Month for March, shutting out Rabea Stuckemann and Pascale Neubert 8-0 for their 14th doubles win of the year.
At No. 1 was USD's 63rd-ranked duo of Juliette Coupez and Stephanie Hoffpauir, who mounted a huge comeback in rallying from being down 5-2 against Pavlina Smatova and Patricia Skowronski to ultimately seal the 8-6 win and the doubles point with a thunderous overhead by Coupez.
Coupez got singles play started in USD's favor by blowing past du Toit 6-0, 6-1, extending her career-best singles winning streak to nine in a row. Claus followed suit with a 6-1, 6-0 win of her own over Metzger to record her team-leading 20th singles win of the season and her career-high 12th-straight singles victory.
Sujica tallied the clincher for the Toreros when she took down Lana Buttner 6-0, 6-1, improving to 13-1 in dual singles on the year.
Escalona was forced to retire down 5-4 to Skowronski for the lone Oregon point of the day.
With the victory in the bag, Depenau added a 6-1, 6-2 win over Stuckemann at No. 5, while No. 75 Hoffpauir posted her fourth win over a ranked opponent this season when she outlasted No. 116 Smatova 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 to close out the day.
USD is now one win away from matching the longest team winning streak in USD history, which is 10 matches and was set in 1983. The Toreros don't compete again until the West Coast Conference Championships at Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego, Calif. April 21st-23rd.
#24 San Diego 6, Oregon 1
April 9th, 2011
Hogan Tennis Center
(1) #63 Hoffpauir/Coupez (USD) def. Smatova/Skowronski (ORE) 8-6
(2) Claus/Escalona (USD) def. Metzger/du Toit (ORE) 8-5
(3) Sujica/Depenau (USD) def. Stuckemann/Neubert (ORE) 8-0
USD wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1*, 2
(1) #75 Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) def. #116 Pavlina Smatova (ORE) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
(2) Patricia Skowronski (ORE) def. Josymar Escalona (USD) 5-4 ret.
(3) Laura Claus (USD) def. Julia Metzger (ORE) 6-1, 6-0
(4) Juliette Coupez (USD) def. Trudie du Toit (ORE) 6-0, 6-1
(5) Anna Depenau (USD) def. Rabea Stuckemann (ORE) 6-1, 6-2
(6) Maja Sujica (USD) def. Lana Buttner (ORE) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6*, 2, 5, 1
San Diego: 16-4 (3-2 WCC)