April 12, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 53 University of San Diego women's tennis team (10-9, 5-2) outlasted LMU (10-8, 2-3) 4-3 in a marathon match. Senior captain Laura Claus clinched the match with a 7-6 (7-0), 6-7 (7-4), 6-1 victory at the No. 1 to give the Toreros their fifth WCC win.
The Toreros had lost the doubles point in both their matches last week, but were able earn the point today after winning at the No. 2 and 3 spots. After Stephanie Hoffpauir and Nicole Ramser fell 8-2 at the No. 1, Cara Brown and Anna Depenau won 8-4 at the No. 3. The doubles point would come down to the No. 2 where Laura Claus and Marta Stojanovic rallied from a 4-3 deficit to win 8-5 to give the Toreros the doubles point.
The Lions got the first singles point after Cara Brown was forced to retire at the No. 6. Brown suffered an ankle injury after winning the first set 7-6 (9-7).
The Toreros would win the next two singles matches to take a 3-1 lead. Mikayla Morkel-Brink won 6-3, 7-5 at the No. 5 and Anna Depenau won 6-4, 6-2 over Kristine Kouyoumijan, to break her 12 straight match win streak.
The Lions would not go away easily though. With their backs against the wall, LMU rallied to win the next two singles matches. Tory Parravi beat Stephanie Hoffpauir
7-6 (7-5), 6-3 at the No. 2 and Claudia Razzeto won 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 at the No. 3 to tie the match at 3-3.
The match came down to the No. 1 where it was neck and neck from start to finish. Both of the first sets went to tiebreakers with Laura Claus and April Bisharat each winning one of them. In the third set, Claus showed why she is ranked by the ITA and outlasted Bisharat 6-1 to win the match 7-6 (7-0), 6-7 (7-4), 6-1.
The match lasted nearly five hours, and the Toreros will have little time to rest before they take on the first place Pepperdine Waves at 11:00 a.m. Saturday morning. The last time these two teams met was in the WCC Championship where the Toreros won to win their first conference title in school history.
#53 San Diego 4, #71 Loyola Marymount 3
1. #103 Laura Claus (USD) def. April Bisharat (LMU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-7 (4-7), 6-1
2. Tory Parravi (LMU) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
3. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Kristine Kouyoumijan (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Cara Brown (USD) 6-7 (7-9), 0-0, retired
1. April Bisharat/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir/Nicole Ramser (USD) 8-2
2. Marta Stojanovic/Laura Claus (USD) def. Miya Jin/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 8-5
3. Cara Brown/Anna Depenau (USD) def. Tory Parravi/Kristine Kouyoumijan (LMU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,4,2,3,1)