April 19, 2014
PORTLAND, Ore. – The University of San Diego women’s tennis team (9-11, 4-5 WCC) fell to the Portland Pilots (6-10, 2-7 WCC) at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center to close out their regular season.
The doubles proved to be a battle for the Toreros. Senior Anna Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo saw their winning streak come to end, while sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic were edged out 8-6.
In singles play, the Pilots picked up the first point of the afternoon at the No. 1 spot to extend their lead. The Toreros began to come back after DiFilippo continued her impressive performance taking down Portland’s Tori Troesch 6-1, 6-2. Stojanovic faced her third three-set match in a row, coming out on top in a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory.
Although the Toreros equalized the score to 2-2, the Pilots began to pull away. Pilots’ grabbed a three-set win over Depenau, while clinching at the No. 5 spot.
The Toreros return to action next week for the WCC Championship Tournament.
San Diego 2, Portland 4
1. S. Van Den Aarseen/Jelena Lazarevic (POR) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-6
2. Maja Mladenovic/Tori Troesch (POR) def. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilppo (USD) 8-4
3. Saroop Dhatt/Emily Gould (POR) vs. Idil Haciraifoglu/Janine Koleta (USD) 6-4 DNF
1. Maja Mladenovic (POR) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Marta Stojanovic
(USD) def. S. Van Den Aarssen (POR) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Jelena Lazarevic (POR) def. Anna Depenau (USD) 2-6, 7-6, 6-1
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Tori Troesch (POR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Saroop Dhatt (POR) def. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) 6-1, 6-3
6. Emily Gould (POR) vs. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 3-4, DNF
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1); Singles (1, 2, 4, 3, 5)