April 23, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The University of San Diego women’s tennis team (10-11, 4-5 WCC) knocked off the No. 8 seeded Loyola Marymount Lions (8-15, 2-7 WCC) Wednesday afternoon at the Barnes Tennis Center to advance to the second round of the West Coast Conference Championship Tournament.
After coming back to secure the doubles point, the Toreros took care of business in singles to defeat the Lions 4-1.
Previously losing the doubles point to the Lions earlier in the season, the Toreros came out more hungry than ever. Senior Idil Haciraifoglu and sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink came back from an early deficit to take down Lioins’ Reka Rohonyi and Kristine Kouyoumjian 8-5. Senior Anna Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo continued to be the reliable duo they have been all season, defeating Ellie Grossman and Lauri Mueller 8-6 to clinch the point.
Freshman Colomba DiFilippo got the Toreros on the board in singles, topping Lauri Mueller 6-3, 6-0. DiFilippo is clearly having a tremendous season with the second-most singles wins on the team, while riding a six-match winning streak. Although the Lions picked up a win at the No. 6 spot, sophomore Shani Blecher answered knocking off Kristine Kouyoumjian 6-2, 6-1.
“Today was a good day,” Blecher said after the match. “We got off to a great start in doubles and took that momentum into singles. I am happy with how I played and proud of the rest of the girls for taking care of business.”
With the Toreros only needing one more point to clinch the match, it was sophomore Marta Stojanovic
who made a comeback of her own to secure the remaining point in straight sets. After a 5-2 deficit in the second set, Stojanovic came back and defeated Lions’ Jessica Perez 6-3, 7-5.
The Toreros will face No. 4 seeded Santa Clara, tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. PT at the Barnes Tennis Center. Stay tuned for live scoring here.
Don't forget to check out an exclusive interview by TheW.tv as they interview senior Anna Depenau on day one of the WCC Championships here.
San Diego 4, Loyola Marymount 1
1. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) vs. Miya Jin/Jessica Perez (LMU) 7-4 DNF
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Ellie Grossman/Lauri Mueller (LMU) 8-6
3. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Kristine Kouyoumjian/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 8-5
1. Shani Blecher (USD) def. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Jessica Perez (LMU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Anna Depenau (USD) vs. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-3, 3-6 DNF
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Lauri Mueller (LMU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) vs. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) 6-4, 4-3 DNF
6. Ellie Grossman (LMU) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2); Singles (4, 6, 1, 2)