Anna Depenau and the Toreros defeated Gonzaga 4-0 in the first round of the WCC Tournament
April 24, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The No. 56 University of San Diego women’s tennis team defeated Gonzaga 4-0 in the first round of the WCC Tournament Wednesday morning at the Barnes Tennis Center. The 4th seeded Toreros will face the No. 5 seed San Francisco, who beat No. 8 Portland 4-2, tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.
The Toreros took an early 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. Laura Claus and Shani Blecher, who are the 68th ranked duo, got off to a slow start and found themselves down 4-0 to Gonzaga’s Katie Edwards and Kylie Peek. Claus and Blecher then rallied to win eight straight games to win 8-4 at the No. 1.
Anna Depenau and Nicole Ramser took care of business at the No. 3, winning 8-4 to clinch the doubles point for USD. The No. 2 doubles match went unfinished, ending with Cara Brown and Marta Stojanovic holding a 5-4 lead.
The Toreros wasted no time in singles, winning the first three singles matches in two sets to clinch the 4-0 victory. Senior Stephanie Hoffpauir finished first, winning 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 2 over Kylie Peek.
The freshmen, Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic would win the next two singles matches. Blecher won 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 3 and Stojanovic won 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 4. The remaining three singles matches went unfinished, however the Toreros had won the first set in all of them.
The Toreros will face San Francisco tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. The Toreros beat the Dons on the road earlier this season 4-3.
#4 SAN DIEGO def. #9 Gonzaga 4-0
1. Laura Claus/Shani Blecher (USD) def. Katie Edwards/Kylie Peek (GU) 8-4
2. Cara Brown/Marta Stojanovic (USD) vs. Samantha Polayes/Melanie Yates (GU) 5-4 DNF
3. Anna Depenu/Nicole Ramser (USD) def. Alexandra Tallas/Franziska Koehler (GU) 8-3
1. Laura Claus (USD) vs. Katie Edwards (GU) 6-3, 4-5 DN
2. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) def. Kylie Peek (GU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Shani Blecher (USD) def. Samatha Polayes (GU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Isabell Klingert (GU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Anna Depenau (USD) vs. Alexandra Tallas (GU) 6-3, 2-1 DNF
6. Cara Brown (USD) vs. Franziska Koehler (GU) 6-2, 0-1 DNF