Senior Anna Depenau finished her last season with the highest winning percentage of the team
April 24, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women’s tennis team (10-12, 4-5 WCC) endured a crushing defeat to the No. 4 seeded Santa Clara Broncos (12-9, 5-4 WCC) in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament Thursday afternoon at the Barnes Tennis Center. The Toreros finished the season with a 10-12 overall record.
After dropping the doubles point, the Toreros fought back in what would lead to a deciding match at the No. 2 spot. With the each point neck and neck in a third set tiebreak, the Broncos narrowly pulled out the victory taking the match 4-3.
In doubles, the Broncos grabbed the first match at the No. 1 spot after Katie Le and Chelby Cooke knocked off sophomores Shani Blecher and Marta Stojanovic 8-3. The Toreros answered with a convincing win by senior Anna Depenau and freshman Colomba DiFilippo 8-1. However, the Broncos clinched after sophomore Mikayla Morkel-Brink and senior Idil Haciraifoglu fell 8-5.
In singles, both Depenau and DiFilippo dominated to get the Toreros on the board: Depenau defeated Chelby Cooke 6-0, 6-2, while DiFilippo took down Stephanie Skaras 6-4, 6-3. The Broncos equalized the score with a win at the No. 1 spot.
With the score at 2-2, Haciraifoglu stayed hot getting the victory over Broncos’ Daniella Silva 6-2, 6-3. Although the Toreros would only need one more point to secure the match, the Broncos brought it down to the wire.
While Santa Clara equalized the score once again after a win at the No. 6 spot, the deciding match came down to Stojanovic. Coming back from a set down, both Stojanovic and Broncos’ Delphine Rouvillois stayed neck and neck in the third set, which later led to their second tiebreaker. Although Stojanovic saved four match points, Rouvillois found a way to come up with the victory 7-6(10), 3-6, 7-6(9) in a marathon of a match.
With the Toreros season-ending loss, the careers of their two seniors, Anna Depenau and Idil Haciraifoglu, come to an end. Both seniors have shown incredible poise and leadership throughout this season and look forward to their bright futures ahead.
San Diego 3, Santa Clara 4
1. Katie Le/Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) 8-3
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Delphine Rouvillois/Stephanie Skaras (SCU) 8-1
3. Daniella Silva/Nicolette Wolny (SCU) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 8-5
1. #29 Katie Le (SCU) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-4, 6-1
2. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD) 7-6(10), 3-6, 7-6(9)
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) def. Daniella Silva (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nicolette Wolny (SCU) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) 7-5, 7-6(1)
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 2)