April 25, 2010
Final Women's Tennis WCC Championships Brackets
SAN DIEGO - In the final match of the tournament, the 62nd-ranked University of San Diego women's tennis team picked up its thirteenth dual win of the 2010 season Sunday afternoon by sweeping Santa Clara University in the third place consolation match at the WCC Championships, hosted by the Barnes Tennis Center.
The lady netters finish the 2010 dual season with a record of 13-12. En route to their third place finish, the Toreros defeated 6th-seeded Gonzaga (4-0) and 4th-seeded Santa Clara (4-0). Sophomore Marite Raygada was the winningest Torero in 2010 with a dual mark of 19-4, including notching two victories in the WCC Championship series.
In the tandem competition, USD would have to complete the full three matches in order to take the initial advantage from the 3rd-seeded Broncos (15-9). Juliette Coupez and Maja Sujica at Court #1 powered past Jessica Agra and Alexandra Zaniewski of SCU, 8-4, for the first Torero win. The Broncos managed to bounce back at Court #3 but Alexandra Demidova and Raygada wrapped up the all-important doubles edge with an 8-3 victory of Kimmie Cox and Kacie Wagner at Court #2.
Moving in to the singles competition, San Diego needed just three matches to close out the contest with a win. At Court #6, Raygada pocketed her second win of the day, as she efficiently disposed of Kimmie Cox, 6-1, 6-2. Then, at Court #2, Laura Claus in straight sets (6-1, 6-3) bagged a win over the Broncos' Kelly Lamble. Finally, to make it three in a row, Maja Sujica eclipsed the likes of Wagner at Court #3, again in consecutive stanzas.
WCC CHAMPIONSHIPS - Third Place Consolation Match
#3 SAN DIEGO def. #4 SANTA CLARA, 4-0
Sunday, April 25, 2010
BARNES TENNIS CENTER
1. Coupez/Sujica (USD) def. Agra/Zaniewski (SCU) - 8-4
2. Demidova/Raygada (USD) def. Cox/Wagner (SCU) - 8-3
3. Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Claus/Perl (USD) - 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) vs. Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) - suspended
2. Laura Claus (USD) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) - 6-1, 6-3
3. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Lise Marbach (USD) vs. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) - suspended
5. Alexandra Demidova (USD) vs. Jessica Agra (SCU) - suspended
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Kimmie Cox (SCU) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 3