SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Former USD volleyball standout Lauren Schad was named a nominee for the 2017 NCAA Woman of the Year award. Established in 1991 and now in its 27th year, the NCAA Woman of the Year award honors graduating female college athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and distinguished themselves in academics, athletics, service and leadership throughout their collegiate careers.
As a senior, Schad was an AVCA All-American honorable mention selection and helped lead the Toreros to a 24-6 record. She was second on the team in kills with 273 (2.76 kps), while hitting for a .410 clip. She was also second on the team in blocks with 69, which moved herself into 10th place all-time at USD in career blocks.
Schad, a member of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, aims to represent and inspire. She has been just as busy and successful with her community service and leadership activities during her collegiate years.
- Todd County & Cheyenne River Volleyball Camps 2017:
- Putting on camps that allow kids on the reservation to be exposed to higher levels of volleyball as well as fine tune their skills with coaches with various playing experience.
- Presenter at Dream the Impossible UCSD Conference 2017
- Gave speech on my personal journey and how I was recruited. Was a part of an hour long workshop consisting of how to get recruited for college athletics in the Native American Community.
- Speech/Seminar at South Dakota Middle School (predominantly Native population)
- Gave speech on the realities of college and collegiate athletics. Told personal story of how I got to where I was on a division I team and how my culture guided me there.
- Partnerships with Native Americans (PWNA) Volunteer: April 2008-Present
- Volunteer. Worked in various areas to support non-profit agency serving Indian tribes in the plains and Southwest. Volunteered at nursing home during Easter meal and egg hunts on Pine Ridge, Animal Welfare projects, TOMS shoes distributions, photography and other office duties as needed. Volunteer as my schedule allows. Also traveled throughout reservations in Arizona and did distributions for PWNA. Gave a speech to the Tohono O'odham girls' volleyball team there.
- USA Collegiate Team Camp: June 2016
- Volunteer. Worked as a coach representing the USA collegiate national team. Help engage participation and lead drills for girls in grades 3rd to 5th.
- Todd County Volleyball Camp: June 2016
- Volunteer/Coach. Interacted with players from various reservations located in South Dakota to prepare them for upcoming season. Led drills, helped make daily activity schedule, spoke to players about personal experience in collegiate athletics, and gave demonstrations.
- USA Coaches Clinic: February 2016
- Volunteer. Demonstrator. Active demonstrator of drills and games for collegiate/national coaches leading volleyball seminars.
- Stanford Annual Powwow: May 2015
- Volunteer. Worked facilities in helping maintain cleanliness throughout the camp and arena.
- Feeding America: October 2014
- Volunteer. Assisted with bagging cereal and raising awareness of urban hunger.
- San Diego Girl Scouts: 2014
- Volunteer. Facilitated activities and led group conversations with Girl Scouts of San Diego.
A record 543 female college athletes have been nominated by NCAA member schools for the 2017 NCAA Woman of the Year award.
The school nominees represent all three NCAA divisions, with 229 from Division I, 117 from Division II and 197 from Division III. The nominees competed in 21 different women's sports, and 122 were multisport athletes during their time in college.
The NCAA encourages member schools to honor their top graduating female student-athletes each year by submitting their names for consideration for the Woman of the Year award.
Next, conferences will select up to two conference nominees each from the pool of school nominees. The Woman of the Year selection committee, made up of representatives from the NCAA membership, will then choose the top 30 honorees -- 10 from each division.
From the top 30, the selection committee determines the top three honorees from each division and announces the nine finalists in September. The NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics then chooses the 2017 NCAA Woman of the Year from those nine.
The top 30 honorees will be recognized and the 2017 NCAA Woman of the Year will be announced at the annual award ceremony October 22 in Indianapolis.
USD Honors Local Military Members
Toreros showed their support and hosted local military members at the men's basketball game
USD Athletes Sing "Santa's Coming to Town"
Toreros show their talent out of uniform
Basketball: City Championship
Toreros play SDSU Thursday night at 8
Football: Week Fourteen
Football preps for second round of playoffs at NDSU
Football: NAU From the Sidelines
Toreros win in first round of playoffs at NAU
Football: Week Thirteen
Football travels to NAU for the first round of the FCS Playoffs
A day to give to Torero Athletics
Football: Week Twelve
Toreros gear up for last game of conference play
Football: Week Eleven
Toreros prep for game day
Torero Timeout with Summer Mason
USD junior women's soccer player takes a timeout during a study break
On Saturday We Dominate
Big wins for both USD Football and USD Volleyball Saturday afternoon
Torero Timeout with Henry Lander
Men's soccer sophomore Henry Lander takes a Timeout between classes
Football: Week Ten
Toreros gear up for home game against Drake
Men's and women's basketball teamed up to host a Halloween event
Football: Week Nine
Big day in the weight room for the Toreros
Seamus McFadden's Legacy
39 years in review by former players and coaches
Alumni, staff and the San Diego community gathered to celebrate Men's Soccer Head Coach Seamus McFadden
Sixth Man Night: The Event
Recap video of the October 12 fundraiser event
Women's Basketball: WCC Hoops Tip-Off
Coach Fisher and Maya Hood attend media day in Las Vegas
Men's Basketball: New Heights
Men's basketball celebrates the third era of the program
Alumni and family gathered together for an eventful Homecoming weekend
Torero Timeout with Kristen Gengenbacher
Take a Timeout with the senior setter at her house in South Mission Beach
Football: Week Seven
Football preps for this Saturday's Homecoming game
Torero Timeout with Jonathan Petersen
USD Football's Petersen strolls through Belmont Park during his bye week
USD Basketball: Practice No. 1
Check out what practice looks like for the Torero ballers
Football: Week Five
Toreros prep for big game against Dayton
Football: FaceTime with Lion's Jamal Agnew
USD Head Coach Dale Lindsey congratulates Torero alum Agnew on his first NFL touchdown
Football: Brian Fogarty PFL Classic
From tailgates to touchdowns, we got it all
Football: Week Four
Hard work follows these Toreros on and off the field
Cross Country: USD Invite
Missed Saturday's race? Don't stress, we have it right here
Football: Week Three
Sights and sounds of USD Football at work
USD Invite: Take a Lap
Men's and women's cross country host the USD Invite: the only home race for the Toreros
Football: Week Two
Football hard at work for their first away game at UC Davis
Three Games - One Day
Ole Weekend was one to remember for USD Athletics
Football: Week One
Toreros preps for their home opener against Western New Mexico
2017 Football Season Preview
Head Coach Dale Lindsey and Senior Ray Clark discuss upcoming season
USD Athletics Highlight Video 2016-17
Don't miss the best highlights from this past year in USD Athletics